Monday, May 31, 2010

Twitter Terror

*sigh* Relationships are tough. Especially online, we have to take extra precaution as to avoid offending the other person. I hate typing smileys, particularly ":)" and ":D" all the time. I have to include it in my SMSes and Messenger and... basically, in all kinds of colloquial online chatting. I'm always more worried about hurting someone's feelings rather than making them pissed. It's different, when you mock someone and when you wound someone in the center of their emotions.

(In my opinion, that is.) A fan Jay Chou can easily be offended when you say he has a face problem or that he's gay. An overweight person will be hurt when you humiliate them by scoffing at how the wooden floor creaks each time he or she takes a step. Well, a few of my friends are offended by how I don't follow them back on Twitter.

There are a few things I have to point out. Firstly, I understand how it feels to follow a friend and not have them follow you back because you begin to wonder," Why aren't they following me? Do they think they're better than me? Or they're just a stuck up and don't want their following numbers to be equivalent to the amount followers they have?" Which leads me to the next point, you shouldn't be reader-minded. Can't we just bloody enjoy the wonderful services of social media?! Why are you so obsessed with your blog traffic or how many followers you have?!

I know how it feels. When I first joined Twitter, I was saddened by the amount of followers I had (which was 5 after 3 days). I announced on Facebook my usership of the ground-breaking micro-blogging technology--Twitter! I was surprised by three of my friends commenting on my status with only their Twitter URL. WTF? Obviously, they only wanted more followers because two of them didn't follow me (neither did I bother to follow any of them). I didn't even put my Twitter link in that status because I'd rather people follow me in their own free-will than for me to sorta "put it out there" and push others to care about what I write.

So it really affects me when people ask me to follow them and reluctantly, for the sake of our friendship, I do. To answer your question of why I wouldn't/don't follow some of my friends, there's a handful of reasons. 1) They hardly tweet, 2) they tweet too much, 3) they chat too much, 4) their tweets are uninteresting, 5) I don't really care about them 'cus we're not really friends anyways, 6) they sync-ed it to Facebook/Google Buzz or 7) I don't like them.

I follow a dozen people who isn't following me but I'm not offended! Sure, half of them are celebrities but the other half are people I communicate with in real life. So I have had several friends unfollow me just because I didn't follow them back. Godiva, are you really gonna determine our friendship by Twitter? I am speechless. What is my explanation to my friends who confront me about not following them on TWITTER?! I DON'T KNOW!! I can't say this to their faces, "YOUR TWEETS ARE BORING! I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO FOLLOW ME, SO LET IT GO! UNFOLLOW ME IF YOU WANT, I JUST DON'T WANNA FOLLOW YOU!" Okay, I'm getting worked up. *long breathing* But I'm not that bad, I do care about their lives. I read their Facebook statuses, must I waste my life reading their lifeless tweets as well?

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not saying I'm uber awesome or that my tweets are the best entertainment or that I do not spam at all. I'm agitated to be compelled to do something when I've already decided not to. It's a trivial matter and people blow it up like it's the end of the world. So to my friends who unfollowed me, don't hate me, take it as a reminder that you can't always get what you want and you shouldn't lash out when you don't.

This would give me an extra reason not to follow you. I've followed a few followers who've followed me for months without complaining, it encouraged me to believe they were good friends who weren't pushy or petty; hence, a worthy follow. Besides, it's not about popularity, if you whale failures care about numbers and attention so much why don't you go to Youtube or something.

It's five in the morning. I'm going to bed now.

1 comment:

Corynn said...

Completely understand. Some people just make too big a deal out of nothing.