Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Heresy or just me?

I received a thoughtful e-mail from Denise the other day and I copied and pasted it entirely below.

"hey gals, i think the devotional material below is beneficial for us gals.. coz we are created as a more emotional creature... Love, Denise

Subject: Trying Times Are Learning Times
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009


Trying Times Are Learning Times
August 16

For You, Who try the hearts and emotions and thinking powers, are a righteous God. —Psalm 7:9

God is a God Who tries emotions. What does the word "try" mean in this context? It means to test until purified. A few years ago, as I was praying, God
said to me, "Joyce, I am going to test your emotions." I had never heard of anything like that. About six months later I just suddenly seemed to become an emotional wreck. I cried for no reason. Everything hurt my feelings. I thought, "What is the problem here? What's going on?"

Then the Lord reminded me of what He had said to me earlier, "I am going to test your emotions." He led me to Psalm 7:9 and Revelation 2:23 and caused me to understand what He was doing for my own good. No matter who you are, there will be periods of time in which you feel more emotional than usual. You may wake up
one morning and feel like breaking down and crying for no reason. During those times you have to be careful because your feelings will get hurt very easily.

There were times in my life when I would go to bed praying, feeling as sweet as could be, then wake up the next morning like I had stayed up all night eating
nails! What should we do when we start feeling that way? First of all, we shouldn't start getting under condemnation. Secondly, we shouldn't even try to figure out what is happening. What we should do is simply say, "This is one of those times when my emotions are being tried. I'm going to trust God and learn to control them."

How are you and I ever going to learn to control ourselves emotionally unless God allows us to go through some trying times? If the Lord does not allow such testing times to come upon us, we
will never learn how to deal with Satan when he brings them upon us—which he will sooner or later. Trying times are learning times.
"


Ai Lee encouragingly replied, "Oh.. i totally agree with u sis =) THANKS FOR SHARING! =) "

While I, on the other hand, read the story four times before replying. I became very weary of what other people taught after reading Bible verses warning us of false teaching and prophets. There are scams and phonies in every religion that tries to con money outta you or lead you wayward.

2 Peter 2:1 (New King James Version)

Destructive Doctrines

1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

My reply:

"Ahem, don't take what I say personally, just my thoughts about what Joyce said. I don't think God would intentionally screw up your emotions to 'try' or 'test' you. The LORD would probably put your through a situation where there will be strain on your feelings and that is when your true character will surface whereby God will try improve you.

If Joyce suddenly wakes up feeling like "she stayed up all night eating nails"... it's probably PMS and she's spiritualizing everything. I hope she doesn't mix hormones with the Holy Spirit. "

I don't know, I'm not trying to sound smart here but honestly, I was a little confused. "First of all, we shouldn't start getting under condemnation. Secondly, we shouldn't even try to figure out what is happening." I agree with the first statement... the second? Not too sure. I wouldn't consider it wise to not even bother to figure out what is wrong. Are we going to pray, "Father, I bind whatever is wrong with me in Jesus' name"?

No. When we're scared we pray 'I bind the spirit of fear in Jesus' name'! When we're clueless we pray for wisedom and knowledge, we NEED to know what is WRONG. If not, we'd only have to pray seconds everyday with simple lines such as:

Lord, forgive my sins. In all Your infinite wisdom You know how to deal with the world and me so do as You will. See You in heaven. Amen.

I need answers not some anal analogy. So please, people, tell me what you think.

No comments: